Twitter addict

There is no better feeling than the one you get when someone on Tweeter with over 20k followers replies to your tweet…

It has been 2 months since we’ve been doing similar assignments in our Digital Citizenship class, basically a tech class. We had to pick a subject to research in our genius project and do part of the research via twitter. My topic was education and I followed 17 people that were somewhat involved in my topic.

members

Sending tweets and mentioning the name of the Education experts was part of the assignment needed to accumulate some research. I remember sending 7 tweets to 7 tweeter accounts that were owned by experts in the field, the main requirement was that the person whom I sent the tweet had to be or have been engaged and/or worked in a schooling or educational environment. The people I had to pick had to be specific, and this probably led to the cleansing of 50% of the accounts on my list that revolved around my topic.

Of the 7 people to whom I sent tweets only 2 responded. The tweets that I sent followed a certain criterion, they had to be specific answers regarding my subject. Of the people that replied to me, Joan Young, a teacher and an author about education, provided the most detailed answer.

After her reply I later asked her to elaborate on her first response to my tweet and up until now, I’m waiting for her reply. The other expert that replied to me is mentioned after the first paragraph of this post, I obviously asked him to develop off his first answer as it was not concise enough, hopefully he’ll reply again.

As I’m the type of person to see the glass half-full I’ll say that the result of this Tweeter project was deceiving, I only received 2 replies; if I ever have the oppurtunity to redo this assignment I’ll Tweet to more than 15 people as this will increase the chances of getting a response, at least more than two replies.

This project was an eye-opening experience for me, as it helped shape and improve my communication and information gathering skills. These skills are quite crucial for me not only in school but outside of it too, especially in this digital age.